Tuesday, March 3, 2009

technique: gettin picky with it

there is a nice article in the latest issue of Sweetwater's guitars & gear newsletter concerning an easy way to tweak your sound on guitar. check it out HERE.

2 comments:

The Moopes said...

Interesting. I never thought of pick could make a difference in tone. What type of pick do you use Sean?

sean3000 said...

I had never even thought about picks until once upon a time Forbing mentioned that his picks w/ his phone number on them were lauded by the sound engineers when he was playing guitar for a commercial.

usually, at that time, I was doing good to even have a pick that wasn't a nub or didn't have deep pick scrape grooves all in it.
I'm partial to the Dunlop Gator Grips and usually like the heavier ones but i have never actually given a side by side comparison to sound before. I do like to wail on an acoustic with a nice thin .38mm nylon strummer sometimes but they don't last long and i tend to be cheap, so i usually end up with a bunch of well worn heavy duty 1mm.

sometime i would like to try what the article suggested: So, here’s your assignment for the week: spend a couple bucks and get yourself the biggest pile of various picks you can find. Set up your rig for your normal sound, using your usual pick. Now, work your way through the pile. Give them each a real try, preferably playing the same licks and rhythms. What do you hear? How is the feel different?