Just wondering what everyone's thoughts/preferences are on various guitars/guitar components. What do you like/dislike?
LIKE
Maple Neck
Maple Fretboard
Ebony Fretboard
Fixed Bridge guitars (no tremolo)
Ovation Guitars (i have the 2078T)
Ibanez Guitars
ESP Guitars (Ibanez/Jackson wannabe but cool nonetheless)
Fender Telecaster (love the tone and feel)
Jackson Guitars (i have a Jackson Professional with a custom Warmoth body. Also, I prefer the Jackson Flying V over the Gibson.)
DISLIKE
Gibson Guitars (in general, I don't like the feel. Feels clunky and the neck width and diameter just aren't comfortable for me. I had an Epiphone Flying V back in the day.)
Guitar neck painted same as body color (my hand sweats and sticks to the neck)
Locking neck / Locking bridge Tremolo system (only big $ system actually stays in tune)
Fender Stratocaster (love the tone but to me this is the Ford Taurus of guitars...boring)
Rosewood Fretboard (once you go Ebony or Maple you'll never go back =)
My next purchase will be a Fender Telecaster. I actually like the cheaper Squier version $200 and the $500 or less Fender version both with Maple Neck/Maple Fretboard better than the $1000 and up models. The tone on the cheaper models is just as good as the high dollar models.
Monday, March 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I am looking for a 6 string electric guitar that looks like a Gibson, with the neck and fretboard of an Ibanez (maple neck with rosewood or ebony fretboard) and the tone of a Fender. Which is why I don't have a real six string electric guitar.
I used to be big on Ovations but love my Ibanez acoustic. Ovations are nice too. As far as basses go. My cheap Ibanez does the trick it has decent tone, maple neck, rosewood fretboard but I would love to own a Fender Jazzmaster cause the tone rocks.
I am actually in the market for an amp. Someone is selling a 200W Kustom bass amp here at IPFW while another is selling a 300W amp head for the same price and I am a bit torn which route to take.
Yeah, I love your Ibanez acoustic also. I love everything Ibanez makes.
You could go to Warmoth.com and build your Fender Gibsanez. You can get everyone of those parts from them and build exactly what you want.
Bigger is always better...right? More watts!! Actually that would be a good gear topic. Gear: Amps
i'm looking at a martin or a taylor acustic electric guitars. i played a taylor 200 series 214ce. and liked it but, it is some cash. I havent played a martin yet. The word of mouth though is very impressive. On the electric side of things I like my squire maple neck. its smooth and your hand can slide very nicely up and down while miss hitting and muteing notes when i play.
Natron, you might wanna check out this workshop on Taylor acoustics
I am so NOT a guitar geek... it's almost embarrassing how much I don't know about guitars, amps, etc.
I do know that I am partial to the oil finish neck on my Ibanez but I don't mind the stained neck on my Epiphone and I love the chunky tone of that guitar thru my amp (after I replaced the stock pickup).
I'd bet that if we were all rich we'd have 30 guitars each and love them all for different reasons and different uses.
The main factor I consider is that I want it to be a sturdy well-made guitar that stays in tune 'forever'. second is the sound (wood, pickups, etc) and last are looks and feel... but all of this is tempered by the cost since I can be cheap!
Nate, go to Sweetwater...in the acoustic guitar room and play one of the Maple Lake brand guitars. Then play the most expensive Martin or Taylor you can find. In my opinion the Maple Lake sounds just as good if not better and at 10% of the cost of the most expensive Martin or Taylor!
In my opinion...above $500 you're only paying for cosmetics. Special wood or finish...the sound doesn't get any better...but that's just me.
I do love the Martin 000CXEBLACK. I love the textured finish (reduces noticeable scratches and fingerprints) and it's light and has a very full sound. They have one at GuitarCenter for $500 if you wanna give it a strum.
Post a Comment