skip to main |
skip to sidebar
So I was working on learning the song Jenny Wren by Paul McCartney and my wife and I were reminded of how much we enjoy watching Abe Laboriel, Jr. play drums. His passion for the music is contagious. I love how he makes a contribution to the song even though his part of the song is very basic. The drums (drum) kick in at about 1 minute 15 seconds. Linda's favorite part is from 2:24 through 2:40.
- Also, check out Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney - Abe really gets into it about 2 minutes 25 seconds...so much though that the keyboard player and Paul can't stop smiling at him.
- Also, the dude can sing! He starts singing at :42.
- How about any of these three?
Who's YOUR favorite drummer?
(by the way...for the bass player topic, how about Abe's Dad, Abe Laboriel Sr? :)
14 comments:
Stewart Copland is one of my all time favorites. His beats are great: complex, but groove so well. It's obvious by watching him that he thoroughly enjoys playing music.
2 more for you, it's hard for me to pick just one, but these are definitely my top picks. Billy Martin from Medeski, Martin, and Wood and Glenn Kotche from Wilco (also has some incredible solo material). Both of these guys are wonderfully creative and musical in their approach to the drums. I'm new to posting here, so I don't know how to post links or else I would link some stuff for you guys.
Brandon, welcome to the blog! you can just copy/paste addresses into the comment forms... we'll figure it out.
yeah Copeland is one of my all-time faves too... almost seemed like he played what 90% of other drummers wouldn't have been brave enough to play (although Sting has said that they just never rehearsed much so a lot was improv and mistakes that were kept) but he had great feeling in his playing. I'll hafta check out the other 2 guys too...
Scott, yeah you can see Abe really 'feels' it too... even some of the most technically amazing drummers have trouble 'making the song better' in my opinion and really don't add anything but messy tricks in my opinion. I'm always amazed by the drum savants... that drum channel thing was cool... reminds me of the guitar center drum-offs:
2008 Champ
2007 Champ (skip begining 1/4 of vid to see solo)
But for me the true test of a world-class drummer is if he/she can make the drums important to the song in some way. Ringo was never a 'great' drummer, but his simple beats made some Beatles songs memorable to me, and that in the end is how I pick my faves
PS: Mylene Farmer's hair has a lot of "feel" too... kinda like a brush i use to wash the dishes! :-D
I hate to steal one of Nathan's boys but Jeff Kropp from Hum kicks all kinds of butt.
Take a listen
I like drummers that sound like they are physically assaulting their drum set so I am a big fan of John Bonham and Dave Grohl too.
Wilco is great! Gotta love the Chicago boys.
Yeah Sean, I agree about Ringo. Some great signature beats that really serve the purpose of the music, some pretty off the wall stuff sometimes, but great creative stuff.
Thanks for posting that Hum link John, I always forget about them, but every time I hear them I love it.
Keep in mind that everything in my last comment was meant to be in past-tense. Cave-In is on "permanent hiatus", which is musician talk for "If the money's right, and our other projects fall through, we could always get back together. But we're broken up." *cough, toad?, cough* :)
P.s. I've always recognized great Beatle's songs for, like Dad and Brandon mentioned, the simple, catchy drum licks courtesy of Ringo. Probably why EVERYONE loves them lol.
JR is the man. Cave In toured without him... the drummer from Converge played, and it was somewhat shameful.
The funny thing about Cave In is that, while in videos or photos they may look like normal rock dudes, in real life they're just little Jewish guys... walk up to the mic, lower it about 4 feet... that kinda thing. It's hilarious.
You guys should check out Dave Turncrantz from Russian Circles... he also played on Riddle Of Steel's first record, Python (don't listen to them now... their last record was laaaame). He's sort of the Stewart Copeland of the new millennium. I might upload those for everybody to check out.
Jeff Kropp isn't the drummer for HUM. Wikipedia = Lose. The REAL drummer from HUM is awesome, though I agree.
I pick John Robert Conners, from Cave In. He has a very hardcore/metal-based style, but really brings some unique stuff to Cave-In's progressive-space-rock albums. In my opinion, he "made" Antenna, which was already a great album.
I enjoy him, because he almost plays drums like a guitar. He follows perfectly on the kick/snare with Steven and Adam's guitar progressions, which are one of a kind. He makes Cave-In easier to listen to for those who lack rhythm :).
Youtube vids are scanty, but I dug up a few. "Stained Silver" from Antenna, "Dark Driving" from the Tides Of Tomorrow EP, and the entire Jupiter album are great examples of his style. Here's a couple random vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGH5_DNU48Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MUL4Bdd8Z4&feature=related (Not really live, just the album version dubbed over video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJzty-WkT1I&feature=related
You've failed me for the last time Wikipedia.
Does Brian St. Pere sound right?
wikipedia is awesome... if you read past the first line ;-)
nice little drum solo from Medeski here ...cool stuff! the jazz and progressive rock drummers have all the fun!
I love this topic, but it's so hard to pick favorite drummers cause i have so many... lesse if i can break it down by era
60's I'd have to go with Keith Moon (The Who) for his ability to just go crazy through every song and somehow make it fit.
70's I'd have to go with John Bonham for his sweet kicks but a close 2nd would be Barriemore Barlow (Jethro Tull) for his technical brilliance
80's is tough... I'd have to go with Alex Van Halen if only for the fact the he always was pushing boundaries but willing to do a simple beat for the sake of the song ...close seconds would be Copeland (Police), and Peart (Rush)... hard to decide
90's fave is Andy Sturmer (Jellyfish) for doing fills while singing 4-part harmonies samples at 2min and here. Bryan St Pere (Hum) always has a great feel for the song and rocks the cymbals. Jimmy Chamberlain (Smashing Pumpkins) is a friggin machine too!
00's Erin Tate (Minus the Bear) check out 2:30-3:00 <-makes me pee just a little bit. J.R.C. (Cave In) is awesome too... soooo many standout drummers out there!
lol. I didn't read anywhere on Wikipedia that you actually have to read the whole entry to get accurate information. Oh well I am sure Jeff St. Pere Von Kroppenstein didn't mind the slight.
I almost forgot about my ALL TIME favorite drummer. He's a real animal on the drums!!
YES! I love that video
whoa hail buddy
Post a Comment