Monday, October 12, 2009

1 Scott 2:16 - Showy display of one's guitar


My first guitar was a knockoff stratocaster (hondo or lotus...don't remember) . It was a terrible guitar but I couldn't play anything anyway so it didn't matter. I remember being somewhat embarrassed though because it was a knockoff (not a Fender). We are conditioned (or maybe just me) to want the big cool awesome shiny brand name stuff. Awhile back, I posted about wanting a Telecaster. I went to Guitar Center and did my homework. I played the $2,000 Tele, the $1,000 Tele, the $500 Tele and the $179 Squier Tele. I bought the Squier Tele ($150) and the Fender Frontman 25R ($99). For $250...classic Fender reverb, great tone and the Squier plays every bit as good as the $2,000 Fender (and the Squier maple neck isn't all lacquered up...YAY!) . At some point you're just paying for overpriced labor (Squier is China built), more expensive wood and a little sticker that says "Fender".

Feel free to stop by my house and take the Sam's Choice/Squier (Pepsi/Fender) challenge. =)

4 comments:

sean3000 said...

I've always loved that style of tele and I believe you made a wise purchase based on my tendency to beat up and mistreat my guitars... I'd die if I had a $2000 guitar and put so much as a tiny scratch on it!

The Moopes said...

Lol.

I'd never buy a $2000 guitar unless I had $2000 guitar talent. Even then I wouldn't buy a $2000 guitar. Maybe if I were getting paid $2000 a night to play my $2000 guitar. Good job busting the guitar label snobbery Scotty!

Scott said...

Poo on guitar snobs! LOL!

Yeah, I think I scratched it right after I paid for it...while I was still in guitar center! Scratches on a $150 guitar give it character. See also Scratches on a $2,000 guitar would make me cry but apparently are still worth $1,200...retarded...

sean3000 said...

yeah I'm not quite sure who the pre-aged instruments are supposed to be marketed to.