keep it to national recording acts with relative fame (a recognizable name) and maybe even provide a specific example or even a link to a song or video as proof.
for research purposes check out this list with included audio samples from rolling stone's 100 greatest. (i changed the link to make it easier to read)
11 comments:
well this topic turned out to be a lot harder than i imagined. the rolling stones list has quite a few guitarists i'm totally unaware of and it seems to be missing quite a few names in my opinion.
so if i consider everyone on the rolling stone list as off limits i finally boiled it down to:
The original lead guitarist of Heart: Roger Fisher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvr3dmptvg
a little bit gritty like Jimmy Paige, a little bit of Journey's melodic Neal Schon. Roger has good solo's and nice chops for rhythm... but you never hear his name mentioned even though he plays some of the most recognizable songs from the late 70's rock era... how's that for underrated?
p.s. his brother's drum solo near the end of the video ain't bad either
p.p.s while looking for 'evidence' i also ran across this video on youtube that answers the question if Nancy Wilson is a good guitarist too... great flippin song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUE5fc7eiWk
nuno bettencourt...www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUMRtHG69V8
Jack White (albeit a very good guitarist) better than George Harrison? lol. I personally don't think it is even possible for Jack White to be 53 spots better than Eddie freakin Van Halen!?! Nice Rolling Stone.
Yeah I always thought Nancy had some serious chops!
I don't know if he is underrated according to most musicians but I'd say Prince since he was left off the list completely. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY
I've always been impressed with the rhythm skills of The Edge... although Bono gets all the accolades. But I also really like the smooth, clean style of Geoff Farina of "Karate". Prince is pretty good as well, though not so known for his guitar skills.
just checked out a few live songs by Karate on the YouTube... not bad i'ma haffa check dem out now!
yeah the Rolling Stone list seems quite flawed in many ways, but it's got a good variety and clips if you aren't sure who it is or how they sound. remember too that the title is "greatest" not "best" guitarists... a lot of guys are way better than Jimmy Page but not many of them are greater. the list puts The Edge, Cobain, and Ike Turner before EVH too so it's not the definitive list by any means in my opinion!
I used to poo poo Jack White too until I saw a bunch of live youtube video... wow! he has skill, but his true asset is playing with passion and gusto which often makes people THINK (feel) like there is something more there than really is talent-wise... plus he can get his guitar to make sounds that haven't been heard since Hendrix.
"greatest" is quite subjective because some at the top did not play anything especially difficult, but I think it was their showmanship combined with their "feel" that makes people emotionally connect with them. nuno bettencourt is way better than most of those on the RS list, but if he doesn't connect with people he won't get counted =)
here is another list that includes a LOT that weren't mentioned on the RS one:
http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/greatest-guitarists-ever.asp
Sean... RE: Karate, I have looked at a few of those online videos too. The sound quality reeeeally suffers. Although it would have been nice to see them live (when still together), I view them as altogether a studio band. Also... was Django Rinehardt (sp) on the RS list...? I doubt it, but great old-timey guitarist.
Paul Gilbert - Played for Mr. Big in the late '80s...great tone and an interesting playing style.
Eric Johnson - Amazing tone! (see also Cliffs of Dover) I love the "fluidness" (is that a word?) of his playing style.
I also like Alex Skolnick. He played for Testament...a very heavy metal band back in the day, but has apparently become quite the jazz guitarist.
Also, as Nathan mentioned...Nuno Bettencourt rocks!
i love the harmonic EJ does at the very end of the clip and how his fretboard is so dirty above the 12th fret
Rob Waters - Limp Bizkit.
Except not.
I would like to pay respects to guitarists in R&B/Rap groups that ACTUALLY play instruments.
N.E.R.D.'s guitarist has a great solo in their song "Sooner or Later"
Justin Timberlake's band (jokes welcome) also has an impressive guitarist. Don't know his name, but he was on with them on SNL. Fantastic playing.
speaking of awesome 'R&B' solos, check out #43 on the Rolling Stone list for some great feeling: "Maggot Brain"
Post a Comment