Tuesday, January 27, 2009
music is like an old friend
I was listening to a cassette that i haven't listened to in years. It brought up some old memmories and feelings. so ,I was thinking that we should list our cd or cassette or album that we used to listen to all day long when we were teens. heres mine........Sports (huey lewis and the news)1983............favorite song "walking on a thin line"..............so whats yours?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
In early teen days, I was known to sit around at a computer listening to a mix of random songs, including anything from Days of the New and Eminem. Basically, I was totally and completely infused with degraded, popularized music that I have grown to hate in my LATER teen years. Anytime I hear old rap/R&B junk from 4 years ago, I get pretty nostalgic.
oh gawsh... lessee, starting around age 13:
#1) Kenny Rogers & the 1st Edition--picked up the record for 25 cents at a garage sale just cause i recognized the name and then repeatedly listened to the extremely dark "Ruby" for many, many, after.
#2) Bought Pat Benatar's single "Love is a Battlefield" but liked the also extremely dark flip side "Hell is for Children" and repeatedly played that over and over for months.
#3) would prolly have to be Prince's "Purple Rain" of which I wore out 2 tapes and threw out 2 more before I finally married a girl who had it on CD (thx Amy!)
#4) since that was all we knew besides Beatles and all the radio played except Eagles I wore out quite a few Journey, Night Ranger, and Foreigner tapes in my day... and I loved Huey Lewis too... in fact "Walking On a Thin Line" was the first song I learned on guitar!
I remember loving the Flaming Lips' "She Don't Use Jelly" as a kid. Also, hearing the Pixies' "This Monkey's Gone To Heaven," and thinking that when Frank Black says "if the devil is six, the devil is six" that he was actually saying "If the devil has sex, the devil has sex," and feeling pretty uncomfortable.
As some of you know, my mom was into "cool music..." Stuff Amy gave her on mixtapes and such... And as a kid, you're kinda embarassed to listen to your parents' music. You didn't know whether it was cool or not... In fact, tou assumed it wasn't cool, because your parents liked it. So I snuck Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins, and Foo Fighters CD's out of their collections. I remember listening to lots of old Foo Fighters in my mom's upstairs studio at the old duplex, when I was supposed to be homeschooling. Listening, watching for the car, then running downstairs at the last minute.
Early teens? Man I was listening to some really crappy WMEE music back then.
It's amazing how much we have in common...I was listening to crappy WMEE music, also wore out at least two Purple Rain cassettes and I used to crank up the volume whenever a Huey Lewis and the News video came on MTV. And as Jordan mentioned, I don't listen to ANY of this stuff anymore! :-) The first three albums/cassettes that I remember owning:
1) Quiet Riot - Metal Health
2) Def Leppard - Pyromania
3) Beastie Boys - License to Ill
(LOL...to this day I can still "sing" Paul Revere word for word..."Now, I got the gun, you got the brew. You got two choices of what you can do.
It's not a tough decision as you can see, I can blow you away or you can ride with me...I said,
I'll ride with you if you can get me to the border, the sheriff's after me for what I did to his daughter." Ha!)
"cum on feel the noise" was the first song I learned on drums...Neil Diamonds" Hot August nights" and Billy Joels " Glass Houses" and "Nylon Curtain" were fixutes around the house. but, the first album I bought was Stray Cats....
Stray Cats rock! Brian Setzer is way cool...
New Edition (and spin-offs), Tony Toni Toné, Beastie Boys, MC Hammer.
Fade to Beatles.
And sneaking in just before my 20th b-day, Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins.
And prolly some WMEE strewn in there somewhere.
Well, fortunately, I had a WAAAYYY cool sister and some cool older friends who were into cool music (at least I thought it was cool...no one at my school knew or heard of it so that was A-OK in my book). I leached lots and lots of music from my sis (copied her records to cassettes! Wow, that took up lots of time!!!) Anyway.. one of my first cassettes that I bought (or was allowed to buy) was Tears for Fears "The Hurting". I also wanted to buy Madonna's "Like a Virgin" for the song "Dress U Up", however, my mom put the brakes on that one, but the most excellent sales guy at the record store said, "Hey, that song is on a 12" single (yes, vinyl) if you want to get that". YES!!! So mom said ok to that. But I really got into The Smiths, New Order, The Cure, etc. during my early teen years. And yes still enjoy them even though my husband sighs each time he hears Morrissy's voice...
just to clarify: when Amy says "my husband sighs each time he hears Morrissy's voice" I do sigh, but not with implied gay desire... i sigh with disdain when i hear the gay pretentiousness of his singing.
I didn't even think of the alternative sigh..only the sigh of being irritated at having to listen to Morrissey..but yeah, I guess if you had those tendencies, you could have a sigh of desire...
This precious banter is so... well it just makes me wanna... well I just can't help but ... s i g h...
Post a Comment